Genovese Basil Highlights
- Germination: 3 to 5 days
- Soak: No need.
- Harvest: 12 to 20 days for microgreens – can allow it to grow into baby greens (up to 30+ days)
- Flavor: Intense basil flavor.
- Nutrients: Vitamins A & C, iron, and magnesium.
Genovese basil is a variety of sweet basil. It is a beautiful green color with an interesting leave shape that makes for a colorful garnish.
The flavor of basil microgreens is more intense than the mature basil leaves.
Use Genovese basil microgreens for cooking, salads, and garnish. Excellent for adding Italian flavor to dishes, and more delicate visually than chopped, full-size basil leaves.
Genovese basil seed is mucilaginous, meaning that it develops a jelly-like coating when it gets wet. The coating protects the seed from drying out.
Basil loves the light and will do better in a well-lit location. Heat mats will also speed up germination and growth of basil.
Try to harvest basil clean; it doesn’t store well after being wet.
However, it’s a slow grower and will take on average 15 to 18 days to reach harvest.
- Home Microgreens Tray is 1.0-grams. The HM Tray area is 37.5 square inches.
- 5- by 5-inch Tray is 0.7-grams
- 10- by 10-inch Tray is 2.7-grams
- 1-ounce package, there are 28.35-grams in an ounce. Lowest price on the internet at $4.99!
How Much Seed Do You Need For Your Tray?
If you use Home Microgreen planting trays, there is no need to worry. Each seed packet has the correct number of seeds for the specified tray.
However, if you’re using a difference planting tray use the calculators in this post to figure out how many packets or grams of seeds you need.
Click This Link to use Calculators: Planting Tray and Seed Calculators