Scarlet Frills Mustard Highlights
- Germination: 1 to 3 days
- Soak: No need.
- Harvest: 6 to 30 days for microgreens – can allow it to grow into baby greens (up to 25+ days)
- Flavor: Very spicy, bold mustard flavor.
- Nutrients: Vitamins A, C, E, K, and antioxidants.
These mustard microgreens can be harvested at an early cotyledon stage or grown as long as possible in a microgreen tray.
The results will differ in shape and color but not spiciness! Scarlet Frills Mustard microgreens are very spicy with a bold mustard flavor even at an early stage.
This mustard is great to use fresh in spring rolls, sandwiches, stir fry, or dishes where you want some spice.
Harvest these microgreens between days 6 and 30 for a zing on sandwiches or in salads.
The flavor is about the same as the microgreens mature into baby leaf greens, but the texture will change. I prefer to eat them as the first true leaves form. They aren’t nearly up to full color yet, but they’re more tender.
Control the spicy flavor by adjusting how many microgreens you add to your dish.
Some of the photos are Scarlet Frills Mustard grown in my garden so you can see what your microgreens can grow into.
Scarlet Frills Mustard Seed Package Sizes
- Home Microgreens tray package contains 1.8-grams. The HM Tray area is 37.5 square inches.
- 5- by 5-inch Tray is 1.1-grams
- 10- by 10-inch tray package includes 4.5-grams of seed
How Much Seed Do You Need For Your Tray?
If you use Home Microgreen planting trays, 5 by 5, or 1010 trays, there’s no need to worry. Each seed packet has the correct number of seeds for the provided tray.
However, if you’re using a different planting tray, use the calculator in the article below to figure out how much seed you need.
Click this link to use the calculator: Home Microgreens Seed Density Calculator.