Lemon Basil Highlights
- Germination: 2 to 4 days
- Soak: No need.
- Harvest: 18 to 25 days for microgreens – can allow it to grow into baby greens (up to 40+ days)
- Flavor: Sweet Basil flavor with a citrus aftertaste. Lemon flavor increases as leaves mature. It’s amazing!
- Nutrients: Vitamins A & C, iron, and magnesium.
Lemon Basil is a variety of sweet basil. The leaves are a little smaller and narrower than Genovese basil.
As a microgreen, lemon basil has a sweet basil flavor with a hint of citrus. As the leaves grow larger and mature, the citrus flavor becomes more lemony, and the basil notes decrease.
Lemon basil is not only nutritious but has an excellent flavor profile that complements any food that goes with lemon. Great with Mexican dishes.
Lemon basil seed is mucilaginous, meaning that it develops a jelly-like coating when it gets wet.
Basil loves the light and will do better in a well-lit location. Heat mats will also speed up germination and growth of basil.
Try to harvest basil clean; it doesn’t store well after being washed. Best if you wash just before using it.
Lemon Basil grows a bit slower than Genovese Basil in my experience.
- Home Microgreens Tray is 1.0-grams. The HM Tray area is 37.5 square inches.
- 5- by 5-inch tray is 0.7-grams
- 10- by 10-inch tray is 2.7-grams
How Much Seed Do You Need For Your Tray?
If you use Home Microgreen planting trays, there is no need to worry. Each seed packet has the correct number of seeds for the specified tray.
However, if you’re using a difference planting tray, use the calculators in this post to figure out how many packets or grams of seeds you need.
Click This Link to use Calculators: Planting Tray and Seed Calculators