Dark Opal Basil Highlights
- Germination: 2 to 4 days
- Soak: No need.
- Harvest: 18 to 25 days for microgreens – can allow it to grow into baby greens (up to 40+ days)
- Flavor: Very sweet basil flavor – better than Genovese basil microgreens.
- Nutrients: Vitamins A & C, iron, and magnesium.
Dark Opal Basil is a variety of sweet basil. Young true leaves and the insides of more mature leaves have a dark maroon color. The veins of the leaves also stay dark giving this basil a variegated look.
As a microgreen and baby salad, Dark Opal Basil has a very intense basil flavor. In fact, a much stronger and sweeter flavor than Genovese.
For a beautiful Caprese salad, mix young Dark Opal, Red Rubin, and Genovese Basil leaves with tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese!
Mostly used a garnish, Dark Opal Basil microgreens can also be used in cooking. Adds Italian flavor to dishes.
Basil is a mucilaginous seed, meaning that it develops a jelly-like coating when it gets wet. Basil loves the light and will do better in a well-lit location. Heat mats will also speed up germination and growth of basil.
Try to harvest basil clean; it doesn’t store well after being washed. Best if you wash just before using.
Dark Opal Basil grows a bit quicker than Genovese Basil in my experience.
- Home Microgreens Tray is 1.0-grams. The HM Tray area is 37.5 square inches.
- 5- by 5-inch Tray is 0.7-grams
- Also by the gram with a 5-cent per gram discount over 2-grams (discount is shown in the shopping cart).
How Much Seed Do You Need For Your Tray?
If you use Home Microgreen planting trays, there is no need to worry. Each seed packet has the correct number of seeds for the provided tray.
However, if you’re using a difference planting tray use the calculators in this post to figure out how many packets or grams of seeds you need.
Click This Link to use Calculators: Planting Tray and Seed Calculators